Moments in time captured with various odd symbols referred to in the lingua franca as letters.

Monday, April 26, 2010

A well worn path

Monday strikes again. I had to work so I didn´t have to sit around all day thinking about how I don´t have a job. Actually I do have a job, but I mean more like a real job. Whatever that is. I have never had one actually. A real job would consist of me doing something that is related to geography and the environment. Preferrably some kind of research. Of course in the world of jobs its all about who you know and as an immigrant, I don´t know anyone.

Lets put all that aside for a minute. Instead I think about the tea party in the US and Bill Maher´s condemnation of the whole movement. He makes the point that they really can´t talk about deficit reduction until they are willing to give up what is essentially the American Empire. If we can´t decide what to cut, but never tackle a standing army that is indeed to big when considered alongside what it is used, then we aren´t really proposing any real solutions. He noted, and I thought this part was quite good, that the defense industry is really a set of welfare payments. So then the question is what percentage of the military industrial complex (and I mean the whole shebang here) is republican and/or right wing? Maher also noted that the whole thing is geared to fight Russia back in the 70´s. Despite these words of wisdom I doubt the teabaggers will actually ever call for any reductions in this sector. Then what about NASA? Is getting a base on the moon or planting a flag on Mars really that important? Nope. If we want to reduce the budget, lets use the money where its needed and not on male sci-fi fantasies.

Here is hoping the weather is nice tomorrow because I can hear my skateboard on the other side of the room calling my name. No its not really calling my name. Inanimate objects don´t do such things, but all the same I have an itch to take it for a ride.

_________

No comments:

Followers