Moments in time captured with various odd symbols referred to in the lingua franca as letters.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

If writing were therapy, then this would be aspirin

It was not so much shocking what happened last night. I sat at home watching the game, which I had told myself over and over again would be a loss, hoping that some magic moment would occur; a glimmer of hope. To be honest that is not what the Swedes needed: they needed skill and team spirit. An active coach would also have been something we could have used. Lagerbäck has done great things with these boys. He´s taken them to championships for the last ten years, but like all good things, they had to come to an end. If I would compare us to another team, then I hope we will be like England who missed the Euros and then came storming back. I am not sure that is what will happen but hope is the last thing to die.

Its time for two things now: new coaching and new blood. I am thankful for what the older players have done, but I think the time has come for a different approach to Swedish football. Players like Svensson and Henrik Larsson need to retire, as well as Daniel Andersson and Mikael Nilsson. There have been highpoints that were truly high and there have been those low moments that scraped the bottom. Let us hope then on the next generation that they have the skills, the burning desire, and the leadership to succeed.

Thank you Lars Lagerbäck and your staff for the last ten years of Swedish Football. We´ll be back.

No comments:

Followers