Moments in time captured with various odd symbols referred to in the lingua franca as letters.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sick and Back again...

Had some small and annoying cold thingy thats kept me behind for a couple of days here but now it seems the worst is over and I am on the way back to good health. Tomorrow is a big day for cooking and I am planning on making Flammkuchen (as the Germans call it) or Tarte Flambée (French). Of course I am doing the vegetarian version so no bacon. This is a dish which is Alsatian in origin. To go with this I am also planning on serving Creme Brulée for dessert. This will be the first time that I have made Creme Brulée at home so I am a bit nervous about messing that up. However the friends we are having over for dinner supposedly have a burner so I am going to call them in a few minutes and ask them to bring it along.

My experience with Creme Brulée is that it has to be watched rather constantly so that the eggs don´t get a chance to overcook, because if they do you end up eating sweet scrambled eggs. There is also no better smell than when you have cut a vanilla bean and gotten some of the seeds on your hand. For a whole day you can smell vanilla on them.

I am still trying to decide if I should have some starters. I was thinking about some form of italian bread chips (the name is escaping me) with some tapenade or something like that. We shall see what happens.

......................................................................................................

Almost forgot to mention that we are planning on drinking Federweisser which you can read about here. Seeing as how its a fall thing, I think everything here is pretty much timed perfectly with the season.

No comments:

Followers