Moments in time captured with various odd symbols referred to in the lingua franca as letters.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Excusing torture (a post about brothers)

When I was a child, between the ages of 5 and 12, my brother and I constantly irritated one another. Many times he irritated me to the point where I finally decided that I had had enough and that I would hit him to make him stop. To me this seemed like a perfectly rational reason for hitting my brother but to my father it just wasn´t very convincing.

We hear an excuse like this quite often on tv and the news now (usually by republicans) that torturing (you can call it whatever you want Cheney but lipstick on it doesn´t make the pig anything else) is justified if it a.) gets answers and b.) saves lives. By hitting my brother I also usually was correct that he would stop bothering me, the only problem: I don´t have the right to hit people. Police officers don´t have the right to strike people in custody. The U.S. Government doesn´t have the right to torture people that they have taken into custody. We have signed treaties against it and we have prosecuted others who have employed the same techniques. If ever there is a more conventional war where U.S. soldiers are captured and these same torture tactics are applied to them, there will be outrage when we can´t prosecute these people later on down the road if we don´t deal with our own dirty laundry now.

Finally, I am ashamed of my country for not coming out harder against these things and I am ashamed of leaders who took the easy way out instead of going the hard road that they always talk about and is the reason we elect them in the first place.

1 comment:

Joel said...

Yes brother, and don't forget...After you hit me I would go to my room and plot my revenge:)

Followers