Moments in time captured with various odd symbols referred to in the lingua franca as letters.

Friday, March 13, 2009

The Yellow Journalism trail...

I like to read newspapers, listen news radio (mostly bbc), and read internet based news. I have a wide variety of sources that I turn to. When I want to know whats going on in the US I either read CNN or BBC. Perhaps I will turn to Der Spiegel if the item is big enough. When I want to read European news, I stick with The Guardian, BBC, Spiegel, and Dagens Nyheter. When I want to read sports news I go with a wide variety that is not worth listing. In Sweden we have two sensationalist newspapers that while often wrong, still provide great sports coverage even sometimes before the more reliable sources do. It struck me after watching clips from Fox News today that this is a cable news station that is essentially a sensationalist source. Their talk shows (Hannity and Colmes, O´Reilly) are essentially made up of sensationalist minded news individuals with massive egos who don´t have anyone standing there correcting them. When they do, they don´t accept the criticism. Fox News is yellow journalism at its best. If I was to lift my glass in honor of them this is what I would say:

I propose a toast to Fox News, for its distortions, its falsehoods, and its obvious bias. As a news station that fills our airwaves with things that can´t even be called news or continues its lying (I mean them not correcting Gingrich), they stand as a true example of hate, ignorance, and a complete lack on interest in doing good journalism. Here is to you all the journalists who don´t check your sources and don´t even bother trying to be accurate, it seems you are safe inside those republican walls.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive