Moments in time captured with various odd symbols referred to in the lingua franca as letters.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The Nobel Literature prize

Today I found out that one of the heads of the Nobel Literature Prize selection comittee has accused the United States of being to 'insular' and 'isolated' as well as going on to say that the writers tend to go with the flow of mass culture. I found this interesting and disturbing at the same time. Of course according to the article, found on CNN, the Nobel people have been accused of 'snobbery' and so on. I've gone back and looked at the list. Of those I have read, I can understand why they have been selected. Granted I am not trying to say that the selection process doesn't have its errors and problems. Aside from Phillip Roth however, there aren't too many American novelists who I think are eligible right now. I do think it is a shame that Nabokov never got his due but that is life.

My candidate for this year is not American either. I put my vote in for Milan Kundera the Czech/French author.

No comments:

Followers