Moments in time captured with various odd symbols referred to in the lingua franca as letters.

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Islands in the Stream

Another Hemingway novel that someone found in a used bookstore in London. This is always the best way to find books. When you least expect it something pops up out of nowhere. I'm a third of the way into the book so far and I have to say that unfortunately I do not consider it to be in the same class as "The sun also rises" or "For whom the bell tolls" but its still ok so far.

Before this book I read "The passion of New Eve" by Angela Carter. If you haven't heard of her, she was a writer who was mainly active in the sixties and seventies and wrote a good deal of post-feminist literature. I'm not going to give away the plot by any means except to say that it was surrealist and magical realist at the same time. It also made me really uncomfortable. Worth a read.

No comments:

Followers