Moments in time captured with various odd symbols referred to in the lingua franca as letters.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Been a month

Well its been about a month since anything has happened on this blog. It isn´t that I haven´t had anything to write about, I just haven´t taken the opportunity, but it seems that I am back now and ready for the minimum two-a-week post schedule. Maybe the whole thing would be better if I had an editor breathing down my neck.

I just finished John Irving´s "Until I Find You" and I think that I can honestly say it was the worst book I have read in a really long time. The characters seemed very shallow and the story line at times became just too unbelievable. I am still somewhere in the middle of Atwood´s "The Tent" and I just started Jonathan Franzen´s "The Corrections." I have a lot of reading ahead of me. I want to get a hold of Atwood´s "After the Flood" which is the sequel to "Oryx and Crake" (which had to be the best book I had read in a long time).

"Oryx and Crake" is easily described as a post-apocalyptic novel. The tone throughout is somewhat sarcastic and there are two periods that are explored: what happened leading up to the event that killed off civilization and then what happened after. The narrator is the person who believes himself to be the only survivor. The book takes a negative view of transnational corporations and their influence on politics (or power to control politics) as well as how run-away greed is able to lead to bio-engineering. The book also uses the overuse of resources as a central theme to what drives humanity into the squalid conditions found in the novel. While I have never read Atwood before this, I imagine that it is one of her best works.

In sport, the little nation of Slovenia managed to knock out the Russians from the World Cup and this, while the only upset in the playoffs, was a great moment in sports history (actually just great that the overrated Russians were revealed for what they really are: just average with a lot of luck).

Well that is about it for this post.

No comments:

Followers