Moments in time captured with various odd symbols referred to in the lingua franca as letters.

Sunday, March 09, 2008

A Film Review: Life is a Miracle

This blog hasn't been responsible for much recently besides introducing the blog from last post. So I thought I'd try something new. I've been a fan of movies now for a long time and also I do a lot of reading. So at least once a week this blog is going to have a book or film review.

For those unfamiliar with European film (as the hollywood hegemony continues in its notoriety) I introduce Emir Kusturica and his masterpiece "Life is a Miracle." The story deals with the ethnic conflicts that ripped the former Yugoslavia apart. It is two things at once, a romance and a sort of comedic tragedy. I believe black comedy is the way they would put it in swedish. One interesting aspect is how he deals with the war itself, never showing any battles but just letting the audience view it through the eyes of the protagonist Luka. Kusturica is somewhat of a genius and I would have to recommend his other movies as well as this one. If you like "Life is a Miracle" then check out "Black Cat, White Cat" and "Underground."

The amount of politics that is on display is also quite interesting to follow in the film as well, but I am not going to give away too much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your blogs. One of my favorite sites is
http://spurgeon.wordpress.com/
it offers lots of dialogue about various topics.
Althea

Followers