Moments in time captured with various odd symbols referred to in the lingua franca as letters.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Idiocy vs Islam (which one is worse?)

I thought for a few days that I could do it: that I could just stop writing about the idiocy that is American politics. Reading news nowadays generally results in my blood boiling to the point that I don’t feel like doing anything at all. It isn’t healthy, and yet I keep doing it.


Today I read an article about a woman with the name Brigitte Gabriel (she uses a fake name). I wanted to go ahead and quote something that she said. I thought perhaps some of you might find it interesting, as I know that I did.

“America has been infiltrated on all levels by radicals who wish to harm America,” she said. “They have infiltrated us at the C.I.A., at the F.B.I., at the Pentagon, at the State Department. They are being radicalized in radical mosques in our cities and communities within the United States.” -NY Times


My first reaction to this was to start laughing and I am not talking about a light chuckle here either, I mean serious eardrum splitting laughter. Then after I let it sink in a bit I realized something more serious about this: history is just repeating itself in a very sad way. Does anyone remember the McCarthy era? It was that wonderful time in American history where the HUAC in the government blacklisted people because of their personal political beliefs. Its really hard to believe this today, since Americans are brought up on some kind of steady diet of freedom, liberty, and justice since the moment they are born, that it was possible their own citizens had been forced out of earning their daily bread.


So how was the HUAC really any different than Pete King’s Congressional hearings this coming Thursday on Muslims? I don’t really know yet, but to be honest I am not looking forward to finding out either. If America were really the great country that the Republicans keep telling us it is, then why is it threatened by a religion? This is all really a waste of space to be honest and the truth is that you cannot really reason with idiots like Gabriel or King: they are right and you are wrong end of discussion. What we can do on the other hand is ignore them and the people who vote for King would be wise to stop doing so: the man is not completely there.


If people live in America and choose to follow a religion, then they are free to do so. Of course they are not allowed to kill because of their religion, but we have laws for that kind of thing like most nations around the world do. Holding a hearing on the threat of a religion really amounts to nothing less than fear mongering. Of course that was what the HUAC was all about anyway.


All this got me thinking about a song by Bob Dylan: Talkin John Birch Paranoid blues.


Substitute the word Muslims for commies or reds and you get just about what the right wing sentiment is at the moment. Things don’t change at the core they just acquire new shapes.


_________

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The initial cost for these LED bulbs is high but they will pay back
your investment within a few months. They need only ten to thirty percent as much
power as C7s or C9s. The much talked about drawback, the lack of evenly distributed light in LED lamps too has been now satisfactorily sorted out by Sharp with their proprietary coating technique of the glass enclosure.


Feel free to surf to my page; Deckenleuchten

Followers